Tuesday, August 30, 2005

A day around the town

Not much knitting happened yesterday, except for sockage in spare moments. Instead we went to the MFA where we saw the Ansel Adams exhibit.

I'm starting to realize just how much my local school district did not teach art appreciation when I was growing up. I'm slowly over time figuring things out, but it would be nice to have a basic sense of what I'm seeing when I'm reading things about form and balance and composition. Then again, I never really played with crayons, so I'm convinced I can't draw.

Some of the images in the exhibit were ones he had printed more than once. There was a quote from Adams about how the negative was a composer's score and each print was a performance of the piece. Himself and I had a bit of a discussion over lunch (when we were interupted by someone who wanted to know where could she purchase the last year's Knit-Out T shirt I was wearing). He doesn't quite agree with the statement, and I'm trying to figure out how much the artist "wastes" to get the image he wants. We're not seeing the thousands of other negatives that are rumored to be behind each successful image. We're also not hearing the thought process of what's happening in the artist's head back when he was hiking with Yosemite with a big set up and only a dozen or so plates to work with. What do you decide to take a picture of?

We're going to the Degas at Harvard today - me for the second, he for the first time.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?