Monday, September 12, 2005
Knowing when to restart
The hat pattern itself is not difficult, though I found k3tog in worsted weight cotton to be a bit of a bear physically. If I put my right needle through the stitches backwards to loosen them up a bit, then put it in from front to back, that made it easier to do the k3tog. I don't think I've worked in cotton since I last did this same pattern as a pillow 4 years ago, and I had forgotten how different cotton is from wool in how it handles.
So, there is no hat to give co-worker Daddy this morning, but it should be finished tomorrow morning. There are 3 more leaves needed on that string, then sewing it to be a stem, affixing it to the top and doing the loose end thing. The rolled stockinette stitch and the bottom leaves will fold up to meet the yellow part, so the leaves are sandwiched in the middle.
I'm going to have to rethink this "I always knit looser" thing. Part of my problem I think is that for most of my sweaters (projects where gauge matters) I start with what gauge I get and then use EPS to design the sweater for me.
Waterfire will be discussed when himself gets pictures ready. It was a nice night.