Sunday, January 29, 2006

One exciting tennis match later

We have a mitten, finished except for, as Himself pointed out, sewing in the ends and making a thumb. (small details)

These I did following the new instructions in Robin Hansen's Favorite Mittens, which include a new top of the hand shaping (which I like better) and thumb instructions that either I didn't follow closely enough or have a mistake in them. I came up with 19 at the top, where, according to the book, I should have had 17.

As you can see from the two photos, the new top decreases produce a mitten that can be worn either handed while still maintaining the color striping.

I've done plenty of iterations out of the now out-of-print Fox, Geese and Fences and find the these mittens to be the ones I choose over all the other patterns in there. They are warm and they look cool, particularly if you can keep the tension on each hand consistent. As you can see, there are times when the black just becomes more prevalent, so there was probably something happening in the tennis match then. At some point I'll probably do a reverse colorway, just for kicks.

The second mitten is started, largely because I find doing thumbs a chore, so I'd rather do two of them at the same time.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?