Tuesday, June 27, 2006
One unfinished, unfelted Calla Lily to the good
When/if I do this again, I'm not sure I'm going to do the 3 shades of green shading at the top of the stem just before it joins the flower. Not sure how well it shows up in this photo, but the colors it's being shaded with are all in the middle of the I-cord, therefore putting it on the back of the stem. Nice that it's a 3-D object, but I'm not sure how well it's going to show up once it's felted and was it worth the effort.
The way to find out, I suppose, is to do another one, with just solid dark green, felt them both and compare.
The kit, from Pick Up Sticks, found at Fabric Place in Woburn earlier this Spring, was well put together, and had enough yarn, though I wonder if I didn't knit slightly tightly as my natural response when yarn quantity is uncertain. The yarn was unlabeled, but the directions recommend Cascade 220 and the yarn looked like it was.
I think I'm going to wait on felting this until I have a few more things to go with it. There are some daffodils and iris in thought -- I should already have the yarn, even if the blue is frogged and rewound from something else.
The single pattern for the Calla Lily has extra directions for a big textured leaf. More to come over the Summer.
Saw some actual calla lilies growing in someone's yard the other day. They were just gorgeous. I didn't know you could grow them outside around here.
I'm interested in seeing how it looks felted too.