Sunday, November 12, 2006

No real title post

I've been working on a bunch of different things since I last posted. I've been following the Zimmermania blog and decided to try a Dairy Queen Hat, since I've never done one before. It turned out a little small, not really surprising given I had Lamb's Pride Worsted rather than a bulky to work with. It's posed on a 100-CD spindle pack, which I'm hoping is about the diameter of a small baby head. It's cute, but relatively tall for such a small circumference. I'm thinking of trying it again, this time with more stitches at the bottom to make it wider. We'll see.

Friday's commute had me finishing my brother's socks, and immediately starting another pair. (Hey, when I get an idea, I stick with it.) I'm through the ribbing of the first sock of the second pair, ready to go to the movies (The Queen is at the Somerville Theatre) this rainy afternoon. The first pair's colorway is a non-brainer appropriate for shy, conservative-dressing brother. The second pair is coming out much more stripey, so we'll have to see if he likes them. I can say one thing about my brother, he is appreciative of anything someone does for him.

Last night I got going on the front of Himself's impossible to photograph Wonderous Woven Cables sweater, getting up to row 12. If I'm going to have it close to ready when he gets back, I'd best get the knitting done and get it over to Lucy for the putting together. I think the front will go fairly quickly given 1. the patterning is already familiar and 2. I know how long the back is, so I've got a long ways to go before my brain starts dithering about whether or not I need to stop for the neck.

I've also been thinking about small gauge sweaters for me this fall, so I've been swatching this Sockotta. I can either do the numbers and come up with an EPS for myself, probably a Hybrid cardigan with a steeked front, or go to Christina Probert's Knitting in Vogue and More Knitting in Vogue to see what might be already written. They weren't afraid to publish 7 and 8 stitch to the inch patterns back in the 30s and 40's. Problem is, even with these patterns brought up to the standards of the 1980s, I find 1. The sizing is difficult to judge and 2. There are no diagrams.

Sizing tends to be small, and you can't really tell if the "large 40", means sized for a 40 inch chest and therefore has more ease, or if the large has a finished measurement of 40 inches. This is where having the diagrams would help. Yes, I can do math based on gauge and stitch counts, but I notice the lack of information that started to become standard about 5 - 10 years after these were published.

Course, if I'm doing that, I could also take the time to clear away that stack of filing on my desk-- the HCRA filings and putting the new acquisitions into Needletrax, couldn't I?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?