Saturday, February 10, 2007

Hubris, or I can't count at 7:50 a.m.

I was working away on the current commuting charity sock last night, the series that purports to appease the commuting fairies to make the subway run better and have seats available, when something told me to check the number of stitches in that heel flap. So I counted and had 26 where there should be 28. Okay, there have been a couple instances where I pull the sock out of the briefcase and one of the zeros stays behind, I might have switched a few stitches in putting them back on, somehow. Count the other needle, it also has 26 stitches, total of 52 stitches, rather than the 56 stitches the first sock of this pair has. I could deal with making a 52 stitch sock, after all, this is destined for schoolchildren in Afghanistan who come in a variety of sizes, however, I'm pretty sure they don't standardly come with a half-inch differential between one leg/foot circumference and the other.

Casting on 56 stitches in K1P1 rib on springy 16" size 0 circulars is not something you want to be doing in a rush hour Red Line car, even if the fairies do grant you a seat. Therefore, I try to make sure that the sock is already cast on before I leave the house, even if it's ever so barely before I leave the house. Clearly I need to back that off to a time when I'm not pushed to get the task done and can trust my count. On the other hand, since I'm dead in the water on the Regia 4ply sweater while waiting for the replacement size 1s (2.25 mm please, not 2.5mm) to show up, I now have still another choice in the pile of half-done projects to pick from.

Comments:
Gag! I thought I was the only one that was having that problem. Cast on, knit away, count, rip. And repeat.
It's taken a long time for me to learn (Marblehead don't you know) to slooow down when I cast on for socks.
Well, at least your trying. And just think of all the different projects you can use to appease the commuting fairies!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?